Continental Building Company (CBC) was founded in 1984 and has annual revenues of $225 million. Ranked amongst the Top 400 Commercial Contractors in the U.S., CBC has successfully completed projects from coast to coast. We maintain offices in Columbus, Ohio and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
To be the recognized market leader in our region.
To improve the lives of our people, customers and community.
Safety. We put the safety and welfare of people above all else. Teamwork. We nurture teamwork and collaboration within our organization, and among all our partners. Integrity. We conduct ourselves with the highest levels of professionalism and ethics. Innovation. We embrace new ideas and innovation in our pursuit of being the best in the industry. Community. We support and have a positive impact where we work and live. Fun. We celebrate our success together.
BUILD WITH CONFIDENCE
We provide a full line of construction services, including construction management, general contracting, design-build and tenant fit out work. We deliver projects of the highest quality because of our most important asset - our people. We hire bright minds who welcome a challenge, believe in team, and are committed to continuous improvement. We support and train our associates through a comprehensive onboarding program, and pair new hires with experienced associates.
The company is a Star level participant in OSHA's Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) and the winner of numerous safety innovation and safety achievement awards.
Our approach to safety – in principle and in practice – has earned our company the highest distinction OSHA offers: recognition as a Star level participant in OSHA's stringent criteria Voluntary Protection Program (VPP). CBC was the first Columbus-based construction company to achieve this status in 2008, and we have maintained successful mandatory re-approval audits every time since. We are one of only 25 CMs nationally with VPP Star status. Contractors achieving Star status typically have fewer injuries and illnesses than other firms, because VPP companies operate with a high level of management leadership and employee involvement in their safety and health programs.
Since our initial approval in VPP, our Total Case Incident Rate (TCIR) for injuries on CBC projects is consistently 80% below the national average, and our Days Away, Restricted and Transferred (DART) on CBC projects is consistently 85% below the national average.
Our safety success is strongly linked to collaboration with the thoughtful leadership of our employees and subcontractors. To ensure by-in, we start by including all project-specific requirements in the bid documents. Next, subcontractors must pass a rigorous prequalification process conducted by the CBC Safety Director who evaluates each company's safety program, insurance coverage, worker's compensation, OSHA rates and OSHA citation history. Following the prequalification process, we communicate safety requirements through subcontracts, preconstruction meetings, QA/QC meetings, on-site orientations, weekly job meetings, toolbox talks, our proprietary Turn the Page Safety Program enforcement and more.
"Leader contractors, like Continental Building Company, represent the best of the best and the cream of the crop in commercial construction. In both performance and reputation, Continental has been a leader in construction safety for years."
CHRIS MATTHEWSON, COMPLIANCE ASSISTANCE SPECIALIST
- 20 Builders Exchange of Central OH Safety Achievement Awards
- 15 Builders Exchange of Central OH Innovation Awards
- 20+ Awards from The Safety Council of Greater Columbus
- VPP Site Specific Star Status: CONSOL – Pittsburgh, PA
The company was named the Best Construction Company in Central Ohio in 2021, 2022 and 2023, and has a 92% repeat client rate.
In order to maximize our clients’ investment, significant effort is given to the planning and implementation of quality on our projects. From preconstruction to subcontractor selection, and throughout construction, quality is given our full attention.
- We collaborate closely with the architects and engineers in preconstruction to precisely define even the smallest design details and ensure clear and concise documents. This thoughtful process results in lowering subcontractor bids and eliminating costly rework during the construction phase.
- We follow a stringent, seven-step prequalification process in order to secure, maintain and renew qualifications prior to awarding any contracts.
- We develop project-specific quality plans before work begins in the field. It formalizes quality metrics for consistency and is built from our database of lesson learned and best practices. These plans often require building mock-ups for specific materials or scopes of work, including third-party building enclosure testing and verification.
- We hold pre-installation QA-QC conferences with each trade contractor. These conferences include architect/engineering participation and delineate accountability in regard to safety, schedule, workforce and quality expectations.
- We conduct quality audits. To ensure effectiveness and compliance, audits are completed by the project manager and project executive throughout the duration of the project to confirm that quality control measures, previously identified for each project, are being verified in the field.
CBC has been recognized as the Best General Contractor in central Ohio by Columbus CEO magazine.
"Not only were the student housing units delivered on-time for the students, CBC maintained a very high quality level of construction; even through one of the most difficult winters in recent history and in an authority that has one of the most notoriously difficult building code enforcement agencies. The CBC staff is extremely capable and professional. We are pleased with the outcome of our project with CBC."
DAVID E. MEESE, PARTNER
Circleville Road Partners, LP
A project’s success does not begin in the field. Rather, it is the forethought, planning and intense scrutiny of every detail in the preconstruction phase that will lay the groundwork for success so that construction can proceed efficiently and smoothly. Starting a project with a well vetted budget, a realistic schedule, and a high-performing team who works hand-in-hand with the owner and architect to deliver a great design with high quality documents, is what creates a reliable path toward project success. Our expert preconstruction associates utilize a quality-driven, open-book process that uncovers project encumbrances and refines variables early so that owners can make the most informed decision. It is this integration of intensive process and talented people that allows our clients to advance their projects into the construction phase with trust and confidence.
- Team Expectations Definition & Alignment
- Risk Analysis / Mitigation
- Site Analysis, Selection and Due Diligence
- Cost Estimating, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Life Cycle Cost Analysis
- Constructability / Design Review, including use of Autodesk AutoCAD, Revit, BIM 360 Field & Glue, Navisworks Manage & Freedom, and other modeling/analytics tools
- Value Analysis on the implications of alternate designs
- Budget Targeting thru Evaluation of Design and Material Solutions
- Bidding Strategies, e.g., design assist, design build, hard bid, etc.
- Strategic Buy-Out Planning & Recommendations
- Logistics, Phasing & Safety Planning
- Project Master Scheduling
- LEED / Sustainability Evaluation & Recommendations
Being born from a real estate development company, we know that accurate cost estimates and dependable schedules are imperative because the viability of the deal/proforma hinges on their precision. Our estimates are thorough and well-researched. Our schedules are aggressive, yet realistic. And because we treat every project as if it were our own investment, we do what it takes to identify issues early and communicate directly, honestly and constantly so that informed decisions can be made. We are very proud to report that we have never missed a project completion date and our project buy-outs have been consistently within 1% of our estimates.
- Best in Business 2023, 2022, 2021 – Columbus CEO
- Top Work Places 2023, 2022, 2021 – Columbus CEO
- 40 Years Delivering Successful Projects
- 20 Years, Average Tenure of Our Associates
- $225 Annual Revenue
- 18 States Serviced
- ENR Top 400 Contractor, 15 Years